I know, the words are rather dramatic (anorexic!), but I rather enjoy the alliteration going on. :)
Anyways, yes, I do consider myself an accidental anorexic. I have this really weird habit towards food where my interest in food peaks and then starts to dwindle over an about 2-4 month period. At the beginning, I adore food and simply love to make it, eat it, etc. Then, my interest in food starts to wane (usually as the novelty of cooking grows old and it becomes a chore) to the point that I'd rather not eat than have to cook food and think about how nutritious my food is (or is not). I find it a touch funny that I'd rather not eat than eat crappy junk food because crappy junk food is better for me than not eating.
Anyways, it's an odd habit of mine that started in college. I remember the dorm food would start to get bland/disgusting and going to the dining hall simply to force myself to eat because I should. Now that I have my own kitchenette and the options are paying money to eat out or just not eating, my miserly Asian side shines through and I just don't eat. I know, bad BAD habit.
The one 'bright' side of this is I have constantly been losing weight, especially around my waist. I noticed this trend Fall Semester of Junior year when by December, my jeans were getting too big at the waist when they'd fit perfectly back in August when I bought them. That's when my friends started joking I was anorexic and making fun about my losing weight. It's come back to mind now for me as (1) I'm in the midst of the "I don't care to make food" phase and (2) I wore a pair of shorts yesterday I'd bought the summer between high school and college. I don't remember if the shorts were tight or large then, but I'm sure it fit reasonably well. Now I think I could have stuffed a textbook or two between my stomach and the shorts to make up the empty space. It's happened on another pair of shorts I bought last summer as well, though the difference isn't as large.
This is a kind of troubling trend for me, but I can't find it within myself to make a difference. I correct myself, I have been sort of making a difference. My New Years Resolution for 2010 was to actually eat when I was hungry, even if it meant eating out and spending money. It's scary to think what I would have been like if I hadn't made that resolution to myself as it got me through all of Spring Semester. My next worry is what will I do when I leave college? Right now, they come in 2-4 month increments because each semester is about 2-4 months long. After Fall semester, I go to my parents for a month where they feed me. After Spring semester, I usually spent my summer with someone who would feed me. This is the first summer I've had this problem of the waning food interest and it's coincidentally, the summer I have to feed myself.
Oh dear, what will it be like when I'm on my own at work? ...Perhaps I'd best start seeing what Google looks for in its applicants so I can get free food from work!
No comments:
Post a Comment